DISTRICT 7 INTERLOCK RULES (Updated March 15, 2013)
These rules apply to all Mite to Midget Boys and Mite to Midget C Girls playing in District 7 parks.
1) Softball BC rules shall apply in all cases not covered below.
a. Pick up rule to follow Annex “G” in the 2013 Softball BC Rules book
2) All catchers must wear full catchers gear, including shin guards, chest protector, helmet or skull cap and mask, throat protector, and pelvic protectors (jocks or jills).
3) Batters and base runners must wear helmets from dugout to dugout.
4) All games to start at 6:30 p.m. or 8:30 p.m. except Cloverdale Athletic Park (diamonds #1 and #2) which will start at 6:00 p.m. or 8:00 p.m. or as noted on the schedule. A 15-minute grace period will be allowed.
5) Squirt and Mite No new innings after 1 hour, 30 minutes.
Peewee No new innings after 1 hour, 45 minutes.
Bantam and Midgets No new innings after 1 hour, 45 minutes.
(at the discretion of the umpire and coaches, depending on time of year)
6) If a game is cancelled due to rain, the opposing coaches and the Umpires MUST be notified by 5:00 p.m. by the home team coach. Rainout games are to be re-scheduled by the home team coach.
7) If a game is to be cancelled for reasons other than the weather, the opposing coach and the Umpires MUST be notified 24 hours in advance. If the visiting team does not give 24 hours notice, a $50 fine will be imposed to the visiting teams association!
8) Home teams will set up the fields; supply all the bases, plate and pitching rubbers, game balls and the umpires.
9) Teams will bat the complete roster and will have unlimited substitutions
10) A maximum of two (2) pickups will be allowed when the roster is down to 10 players or less. Coaches are to notify the opposing coach of the pickups prior to the start of the game. Pickups are allowed to pitch, but must be from a lower division.
11) If a team plays with 8 players, the 9th batter is NOT automatically out.
12) Maximum of 5 runs per innings with the 7th innings being open – Exception is for the Mite divisions where a maximum of 4 runs per innings for all innings played.
13) Mites may pitch a maximum of 2 innings per game.
Squirts may pitch a maximum of 3 innings per game- any pitcher may pitch the 7th inning.
Peewee may pitch a maximum of 4 innings per game- any pitcher may pitch the 7th inning.
The maximum pitching innings do not need to be consecutive.
Bantam and Midgets have no restrictions.
Common sense and good sportsmanship apply when a team does not have more than 1 pitcher for a game.
14) Drop third strike and infield fly rules apply to Peewee and above. (To correspond with Softball BC and Softball Canada)
15) If a coach does not declare all players wearing jewelry at the plate conference, then when the umpire notices, they can ask the player to remove it. If the player says no, then the coach is asked to come out and take responsibility for that player.
16) There will be one offensive and one defensive conference per inning in league play for U14 teams and up.
17) All teams must wear their full matching uniforms with the shirts completely tucked in with hats or visors worn properly. Any pickups MUST wear their own team’s complete uniform.
18) Anyone (Player, Coach, or Parent) receiving pitches before or during a game must wear a mask.
19) Mercy Rule: 10 runs after 4 complete innings or 7 runs after 5 complete innings. **
**However, the decision to call the game will be left up to the coach of the team trailing, after the appropriate inning, and will have the agreement of the coach of the opposing team. Umpires will not call games on account of the mercy rule. This is designed to allow players to have maximum amount of playing time, if in the coach’s opinion, it is the best interest of the respective team.
District 7 Interlock Rules 2013 (Updated January 18, 2013)
Mini Mite Division Boys and Girls - The goal is for all players to have fun and learn the game of fastpitch.
1. Softball BC rules shall apply in all cases not covered below.
2. All catchers must wear full appropriately sized catchers gear, including shin guards, chest protectors, helmet or skull cap and mask, throat protector and pelvic protectors properly sized. a. Jocks and jills are requested to be worn-decision is up to the coach to make it mandatory or not for their team.
3. Batters and base runners must wear helmets from dugout to dugout.
4. Home team is responsible to set up and take down of the diamond.
5. Home team supplies parent volunteers to umpire the game (associations do not provide umpires).
6. There will be a three (3) run maximum per inning or three (3) outs.
7. All players will play the field; outfielders must remain on the outfield side of the base path.
8. Game days are Monday / Wednesday for the girls, Tuesdays/Thursdays for the boys.
a. Practice begins at 6:30 p.m.
b. Game begins at 7:00 p.m. – no new inning after 7:45 p.m.
c. Recommended min. of six (6) players to commence game.
9. All innings will be played with a pitcher.
10. Player starts the count with each new batter.
a. Once the count reaches three (3) “balls” and the player has not struck out, a coach (or parent) takes over pitching.
b. In fairness to the parent pitching, a five (5) “ball” rule will be allowed before a walk is issued. (“ball” means a pitch that is not hittable).
c. Three (3) strikes will still constitute a strike out.
d. For the first two weeks, an adult will pitch the entire game.
e. Whether the coach or child is pitching, (i.e. three (3) strikes and five (5) balls) will result in walks, hits or an out.
11. No child shall occupy a position for more than two (2) innings per game including the pitcher’s position. The innings do not need to be consecutive. Coaches are encouraged to rotate the children through all positions.
12. A base runner may not leave the base (lead off) until the ball has left the pitcher’s hand. At the time, he/she may take a few steps towards the next base – but does not steal. THERE WILL BE NO STEALING AT ANYTIME.
13. Base running and batting:
a. Infield hit: the batter and base runner advance one base only.
b. Outfield hit: the batter and each base runner can continue to advance bases until the ball is returned to the infield. Once the ball is thrown back into the infield (it does not have to be in a player’s control, it simply has to be thrown back into the infield) the base runners will stop on the base they are on or advance to the closest next base they were running to and will stop at the bases. In the first half of the season before game concepts and throwing skills are well established, coaches may agree that an outfield hit results in a two base hit regardless of whether the ball has reached the infield.
c. If a batter is hit by a direct pitch, the player will be given first base.
d. If a batter is hit by an indirect pitch, it will be the batter’s decision whether they would like to go to first base or stay up at bat.
14. No bases allowed on an overthrow.
15. Coaches are permitted on the field when a team is on offence and defense to instruct the children. Coaches are not permitted to interfere in the play nor interfere with hit balls (i.e. a child cannot be pushed off the base when running).
a. Maximum number of coaches on the field is four (4).
16. There will be a halfway line between third base and home plate. If the batter is not out of the batter’s box when a runner is coming from third base, the play will stop and the runner will go back to third base. This needs to be explained to all players.
17. Pitching distance is 24’. Bases are 45’ in distance.
18. The ball is 11” optic softie for both boys and girls.
19. Teams will bat in order.
20. In case of a cancelled game – home team is to call the visitor by 5:00 p.m.
a. The visitor will abide by home team’s decision and show up at the park.
21. Games will be completed with a dragon race.